So, according to my calendar, June is Dairy month, and June 1st is World Milk Day! How cool is that? In honor of such a month dedicated to what we do, I wish to do weekly posts on dairying. So tell me, what sorts of things would you like to see? Recipes, pictures of the animals, maybe a mini video or information on some of the technologies used in dairying in our area... leave a comment telling me whatever you'd like to see and I'll try to do a post on it!Since today is milk day I would like to write about... MILK! Crazy, huh?
First of all, the pic on the side? Not mine! Got it from iVillage homemade beauty recipes... for Cleopatra's Milk Bath! I'm thinking I might have to give that a try!
Anyway, on to recipes! I'm going to be making a cheesy meal for supper tonight. I noticed I didn't have the recipe in my cookbook blog yet, so I'll post it here first! It's Alfredo sauce!
Alfredo Sauce
What you need:
1 brick cream cheese
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 cup milk
Melt cheeses and butter in saucepan on medium heat until melted. Add milk and mix until smooth. This mixture will thicken as it cools. I like to add some parsley to it for a bit of color, then serve over pasta (whatever you like) and add cooked chopped meat (chicken or shrimp), mushrooms, and veggies (whatever you fancy). It's good with toast and a salad as well! And any leftovers are easy to freeze in bags for another time!
Here are a few recipes in my 'Cookbook' that call for milk! Enjoy!
And here's some more milky goodness! We have a dairy website full of very interesting info. It's the Dairy Farmer's of Manitoba home page! There's a lot of great stuff on the site including lots of calcium info, a calcium calculator link, info on dairy substitutions, how to make your own homemade dairy products, tips for cooking with dairy products, tips on dairy storage, and loads of recipes from breakfast television and the Great Tastes of Manitoba. There is also a downloadable milk calendar! You can just view it (and the lovely recipes they have for each month as well), or sign up and sign in to use it, or if you prefer paper calendars, pick one up for free (if you live in Manitoba). I have one in my kitchen and I love them.
So, that is it for the first dairy post of the month! Please comment to tell me what you'd like to see in upcoming posts (I hope to do them weekly on Mondays)!
Now I gotta go catch my munchkin who just figured out how to climb the one stair we have from our living room to our dining room/kitchen!
5 comments:
Hi Sab! Thanks for the comments on my blog and for signing my guest book. :o)
You have a beautiful baby. So precious!
Blessings!
Beth
I would love to see some of your farm...that would fasinate me. To see how it runs and what you do.
Very cool;)
ACK! It's 8:15 in the morning and now i am officially starving; how long til dinner time?
I want pictures! (You know how I love looking at pictures, haha.)
Really though, I would love to see photos of the animals, the farm, and the equipment you guys use. Hooray for Dairy Month! :-)
I think that is the same sauce recipe I use. Somewhat rich but very yummy.
Post a Comment